As any professional painting company will tell you, choosing the right paint finish can make or break a paint job. The difference between a beautiful new coat of color and a flaky, dull eyesore lies in the paint’s texture and shine levels.
Consider the Surface
The surface you’re applying the paint to makes a difference in the kind of finish you want. A professional painting company would know not to apply a high-gloss finish to an exterior stucco wall. Rather, a satin or flat finish is better because the paint will apply smoother and hold up without flaking better, especially in the Clearwater weather.
Think About the Environment, Uses, and Surroundings
Interior and exterior paints require different finishes based on where they’re located. Exterior paints need to stand up to environmental damage such as UV rays, wind, rain, and physical abrasion. Therefore, exterior paint needs to be extremely durable compared to interior paint. An interior dining room wall will look elegant with a glossy finish, while a space like a kitchen may require an easy-to-clean finish like satin or eggshell. If you’re not sure what finish you need, consult a professional painting company in the Clearwater area.
The Different Types of Paint Finishes
- Flat/matte – This option is non-reflective, hides imperfections, and makes walls smooth. It’s ideal for dining rooms, adult bedrooms, and ceilings.
- Satin – Smooth and velvety with more gloss, this offers a rich look that’s perfect for high-traffic areas like hallways and family rooms.
- Semi-gloss – Offers a durable finish with visible shine for frequently-cleaned areas like kitchens, bathrooms, closets.
- Gloss – This lustrous, very shiny finish is perfect for windows, doors, and trims. Use it for highlighting architectural elements.
- Pearl – Pearl provides a subtle shimmer that’s between eggshell and semi-gloss.
- Flat enamel – This finish has a non-reflective look that conceals imperfections.
- Eggshell – Between flat/matte and satin, this offers a slight hint of shine that’s great for walls that endure mild washing.
Applying the paint also requires the precise hand and artistic vision of a professional. Yes, the way you apply paint really does make a difference in its longevity, appearance, and effectiveness on your walls. Strokes can show up in sunlight if you paint erratically, or improper techniques may lead to chipping, peeling, and fading. A professional painting company like Bourgoing has the right tools and experience to make your Clearwater home a masterpiece.
Choose Bourgoing Painting Company in the Clearwater Area
If you live in the Clearwater, Florida area and want to hire a painting company to add new hues to your walls, trust Bourgoing. In addition to applying paint, we can help you select colors and finishes based on our professional expertise and knowledge. Give us a call today at 727-688-2397 or contact us online to receive a quote.